Thursday, November 3, 2011

We have been raised up with Christ and should seek the things above.


Colossians 3

We have been raised up with Christ and should seek the things above.

INSIGHT

It is possible to be one place physically and another place mentally. It happens every Sunday morning in church. Bodies warm the pews while minds roam the kitchens and golf courses of the nation. In a graver example, prisoners of war survive by taking themselves mentally into another world away from the prison and there find meaning and solace. We, as Christians, are to do the same. We are to take ourselves out of the physical world, into the spiritual world, and operate according to its values, truths, and realities. "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above. . . . Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth" (vv. 1-2).

PRAYER

Place your mind on Christ, and give Him your praise as you seek the things above:
O Lord my God, in You I put my trust;
Save me from all those who persecute me;
And deliver me . . .
I will praise the Lord according to His righteousness,
And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High (Psalm 7:1, 17).

Pause for praise and thanksgiving, and pray this confession to the Lord as you seek to keep your life free from sin and in fellowship with Him:
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You.
(Psalm 51:10-13)

Confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind.

Now pray this affirmation to the Lord:
This is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
(1 John 3:23)

As you make your requests known to the Lord, include:
  • Faithfulness in sharing Christ
  • The Lord's work in national and world affairs
  • Your activities for the day
Close your time of worship by offering this prayer to the Lord:
May the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen
(1 Peter 5:10-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment