Wednesday, July 20, 2011

“Who Is The Greatest?”

July 20, 2011
“Who Is The Greatest?”
And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all. 36And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them, 37Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me. 38And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. 39But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. 40For he that is not against us is on our part. (St. Mark 9:35-40)
“I’m so fast that last night, I cut the light out in my bedroom; hit the light switch, and was in my bed before that room went dark" "If you dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize". "Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't." Muhammad Ali made these quotes, and many more like it, because he was in fact considered to be the greatest in the field of boxing. What do you think of when you think of greatness? Someone with a powerful right hook? Perhaps someone who is noteworthy, famed, dignified or eminent. The mark of true greatness is not to be found in the domineering attitude that often characterizes worldly leaders. This arrogant leadership pattern does not have a place in the kingdom of God. Anyone desiring true greatness must adopt an attitude of service. Ministering to the needs of others must become of greater concern than self-promotion. Jesus embraces a little child to let the disciples know that greatness comes by caring about people who tend to be thought of as insignificant. Someone who you wouldn’t want to waste time and energy on. Someone who after all, can’t help you get ahead.


While Jesus was teaching, John interrupted him to report that the disciples had seen a man driving out demons in Jesus’ name, and that they had forbade him because he was not one of the twelve (verse 38). Jesus’ response in verses 39-40 brought the disciples “us verses them” mentality to a screeching halt. Jesus said, “don’t stop them; anybody doing miracles in my name can’t say bad things about me, and if you’re not against me, they must be with me.” When I read this portion of scripture, I had to holler out “SAY THAT JESUS!” This man was not one of Jesus’ twelve, yet he was walking around doing miracles. This spoke volumes to me about the church today. Everybody thinks they know more, have more, or is anointed more than everybody else. Yet if we come in unity with Christ, greater works than these shall we do. The disciples were being arrogant. Arrogance is one of the biggest hindrances when advancing God’s kingdom. According to Ephesians 4:3, we should endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Who is the greatest? It is the coming together of people from different churches in unity, one common goal, winning souls for Christ that is going to advance the Kingdom of God! That is “who is the greatest!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment