Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nearing his death, Joshua charges the Israelites to be faithful to the Lord.

Joshua 23

Nearing his death, Joshua charges the Israelites to be faithful to the Lord.
INSIGHT
After a brilliant career as Israel's leader, Joshua bids them farewell. He urges them not to allow themselves to be corrupted by the gods or people of the nations around them. Then Joshua encourages them that if they are faithful, "all the good things" of the Lord will come upon them (23:15); if they are not faithful, "the Lord will bring upon you all harmful things, until He has destroyed you from this good land" (23:15).
PRAYER
Offer your praise to the Lord for His faithfulness to all generations of those who obey Him:
I will extol You, my God, O King;
And I will bless Your name forever and ever.
Every day I will bless You,
And I will praise Your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
And His greatness is unsearchable.
One generation shall praise Your works to another,
And shall declare Your mighty acts.
I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty,
And on Your wondrous works (Psalm 145:1-5).

Pause for personal praise and thanksgiving. Pray this confession to the Lord as you seek to keep your life free from sin:
David said to the Lord, "I have sinned greatly in what I have done;
but now, I pray, O Lord, take away the iniquity of Your servant,
for I have done very foolishly" (2 Samuel 24:10).

Confess any sins which the Holy Spirit brings to your mind.

Now pause to pray this affirmation to the Lord:
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. . . . This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world" (John 6:47-48, 50-51).

As you make your requests known to the Lord, pray for:
Greater faith in God's providence
Ministry leaders
Whatever else is on your heart
Finally, offer this prayer to the Lord:
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God, and the communion of the
Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen (2 Corinthians 13:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment