Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Elijah flees from Jezebel, and the Lord ministers to him after saving him.

1 Kings 19

Elijah flees from Jezebel, and the Lord ministers to him after saving him.
INSIGHT
On the heels of the stupendous victory over the prophets of Baal, Elijah falls into despair. He fears for his own life in the face of Jezebel's threat and flees to a lonely mountain for safety—to lick his wounds and mourn his fate. How shameful that this great prophet would call down fire from heaven one day and flee for his life the next. We all have feet of clay. Notice though that God does not berate him. Rather, He ministers to him quietly, restoring his spirit and strength. Then God calls Elijah back into His service again. God cares when we are hurt and discouraged and gently calls us to Himself for new strength.
PRAYER
Offer to the Lord your praise for His lovingkindness on your behalf:
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name (Psalm 63:3-4).

Pause for personal praise and thanksgiving.

Pray this confession to the Lord as you seek to keep your life free from sin:
Indeed I have sinned against the Lord God of Israel,
and this is what I have done (Joshua 7:20).

Show me Your ways, O Lord;
Teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation;
On You I wait all the day (Psalm 25:4-5).

Confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind.

Now pray this affirmation to the Lord:
The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God
is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23).

As you make your requests known to the Lord, include:
Greater passion for moral excellence
The ministry of Christian educational institutions
Your activities for the day
Finally, offer this closing prayer to the Lord:
To Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began . . . to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen (Romans 16:25-27).

No comments:

Post a Comment