Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Psalm of Deliverance


Psalm 116: A Psalm of Deliverance


“Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee. For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.” Psalm 116:7-8
      Can you remember ever making a vow to God like this: “Lord, if You would just get me out of this situation, I’ll do _____ (insert vow here)!” Do you recall ever making good on your promise to God? Jonah cried out to God from the belly of the fish, When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; and my prayer went up to You, into Your holy temple. I will sacrifice to You with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD” (Jonah 2:7,9 NKJV).
     Isaiah 53:6 “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”Humanity needed to be rescued from the bondage of sin and our own will and desires. I’ll be the first to admit that my own desires led me into bondage a time or two. It didn’t take long before I was in such deep trouble that I couldn’t get myself out. I had to humble myself and cry out to God to rescue me and give me a way of escape!
     I thank God that He is a promise-keeping, covenant-faithful God! He will never abandon those to whom He has bound Himself (Psalm 9:10). He is a faithful God. He never gives up on His people (2 Timothy 2:13). Wherever we have gone off course, as long as we’re still breathing, there’s still hope to get it right. There’s no need to carry the burdens, grief, suffering, and weights of our transgressions. The Lord’s rest is waiting for all who will turn to Him in faith.
     And when He does free you, don’t forget to praise Him! Don’t forget to pay your vows to Him. Don’t neglect to give credit to the One who truly deserves the honor for your deliverance. If God has ever delivered you in any way, let’s take time right now to give Him praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment