Friday, April 29, 2011

Take The Lead! (Part 2)

Take The Lead! (Part 2)
The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away. (1st Peter 5:1-4)
St. Mark chapter 10 verses 42-45 give us four characteristic of good leaders in the church. The first characteristic was that a good leader realizes and understands that they are caring for God’s flock, and not there own. It is very important how we treat God’s people who are under our authority. The second characteristic that we began talking about was that a good leader leads out of eagerness to serve, not out of obligation. The message Bible (vs 2)says: “I have a special concern for you church leaders. I know what it's like to be a leader, in on Christ's sufferings as well as the coming glory. Here's my concern: that you care for God's flock with all the diligence of a shepherd. Not because you have to, but because you want to please God.” Obligation is something by which a person is bound or obliged to do certain things, and which arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc. Romans 6:14 says: “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.” Because of Christ, I am no longer under the law of sin, but now living under grace. The only obligation I have now is gratitude. I am grateful for the things he has done for me.
The third and fourth characteristics of a good leader is that a good leader is concerned for what they can give, not for what they can get, and also leads by example, not force. The rest of that scripture in 1st Peter chapter 5 verse 2 (Message Bible) continues with: Not calculating what you can get out of it, but acting spontaneously. Not bossily telling others what to do, but tenderly showing them the way. A good leader becomes an example. I am a firm believer that the best way to lead is by example. As a leader it is important to not try to figure out what’s in it for you, but rather what you can do to help others. How can you really lead, guide, protect, instruct or direct those under your authority, if you are trying to use them for your own gain? In all actuality, proper leadership will bring proper profit or gain. The bible says in 3rd John 1:2 (Message Bible): “I pray for good fortune in everything you do, and for your good health—that your everyday affairs prosper, as well as your soul!... Nothing could make me happier than getting reports that my children continue diligently in the way of Truth! A pastor should want this for his/her congregation…a president for his/her company, and parents for their children. As a mom, I want my children to follow me in ministry, so I live a life at home, and everywhere I go. Paul said in 1st Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. With them I am fair, understanding, and consistent. Come on leaders, it is time to take the lead, but let us lead according to the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment