Monday, March 7, 2011

Blessed Are The Forgiven

Blessed Are The Forgiven

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered." Psalm 32:1

Who is truly blessed? Is it the person whose bank account has more digits than a phone book? Or maybe it's the person who controls multiple businesses nationally and internationally, with countless people under their influence and at their service? Am I blessed because I have a spouse, two kids, and a home situated on five acres in the suburbs? Who is truly blessed?

The Amplified Bible describes the word "blessed" as one who is "happy, fortunate, and to be envied." When David - a man of power, influence, and wealth - and the writer of Psalm 32, began to reflect on who is truly blessed, he wrote in Psalm 32:1, "Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight!" (New Living Translation) He said only the forgiven are truly blessed, because only those who have been forgiven have been reconciled back to God! And because I have reconciled, there has been a restoration of the favor of God upon my life.

Whereas before I depended on my individuality - my goodness, my ingenuity, my strength, my resources, my ideas, my ability, now I am awakened to the reality of the freedom of trusting God! "But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him" (Jeremiah 17:7 NIV). David further describes some of the benefits of being restored to God's favor as follows, "[God] forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, [He] redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, [He] satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's" (Psalm 103:3-5 NIV).

Hallelujah! Knowing that I am not only forgiven, but also healed, delivered, honored and protected, strengthened and satisfied in Christ is more than enough reason to praise my God! In fact, the same word (Hebrew "barakh") is used for what we receive from God (blessing), and what the worshipper offers to God (blessing).

So if you know that you are blessed today because you have been restored back into God's favor, "bless" God by meditating on His goodness, and responding in worship and adoration!

No comments:

Post a Comment