Monday, March 21, 2011

The Measure of Our Love

The Measure of Our Love
John 14:15-24
As I studied today’s verses from John’s gospel, I felt convicted about falling short of Jesus’ expectations. It’s easy to say, “Lord, I adore You,” but there have been times when I’ve used those words while resisting something He was trying to impress upon my heart. The old adage is true: actions do speak louder than words.
The measure of our love is obedience to God’s commands and principles. Following His instructions is so important that Jesus stressed the point three times in today’s Bible passage (vv. 15, 21, 23). This wasn’t a new concept for the disciples either. They would have been familiar with the scriptural connection between love and obedience (Neh. 1:5; Dan. 9:4). In fact, God has always emphasized that the way to show our devotion is by doing what He says (Deut. 8:11; 10:12; 13:3-4).
I could preach a thousand sermons without loving God. Halfhearted commitment can look pretty good to others, but the Lord knows the difference. Believers may lift their hands in worship, serve vigorously, support missionaries, and even say all the right words. But unless we’re following God’s commands from His holy Word, the most we’re showing Him is lukewarm affection. Works don’t prove anything. Loving the Lord means obeying Him.
What I’m about to say might sting: if you do not obey the Word, you do not love God. The Lord told Joshua to meditate on Scripture day and night (Josh. 1:8). I’m in the Bible every day because that is the only way to stay faithful and show the Father my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment