Monday, March 14, 2011

I'm On My Way! (Part 1)

I'm On My Way! (Part 1)
And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. (Genesis 32:24-26)
In chapter 31, Jacob found that Laban (his father in law) was stealing from him, and not being very fair about matters. He decided he was sick and tired and so he left with his wife and children to go back to his home without telling Laban. When Laban found out, he was angry and went after Jacob. To make a long story short, they settled the situation. This left Jacob free to return home. Jacob dealt with the problem that he left behind, but he still had a problem before him…his brother Esau! Esau was still angry about Jacob stealing his birthright (Genesis chapter 27), so he was still seeking revenge!
It is in this 32nd chapter Jacob receives word that his brother has made warlike preparations against him, and he was afraid. Jacob prayed! This is what he prayed: "God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, God who told me, 'Go back to your parents' homeland and I'll treat you well.' I don't deserve all the love and loyalty you've shown me. When I left here and crossed the Jordan I only had the clothes on my back, and now look at me - two camps! Save me, please, from the violence of my brother, my angry brother! I'm afraid he'll come and attack us all, me, the mothers and the children. You yourself said, 'I will treat you well; I'll make your descendants like the sands of the sea, far too many to count.'" (Message Bible)
When situations seem dark, and you don't know what to do, prayer is the answer! When Jacob prayed the angels of God appeared unto him with an encouraging word of assurance. Jacob could be sure of Divine protection. After he prayed, he than began making preparation. First, he prepared a present for his brother, from his possessions, putting his servants in charge. He instructed his servants to go, present the prepared gifts, and to tell Esau that he, Jacob was on his way. Proverbs 15:1 says: "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." Jacob wanted to soften his brother up with a succession of gifts, so that when they came face-to-face, maybe Esau would be glad to see him.
I had a situation with a sister in my church. This sister was very angry with me, because she thought that I was accusing her of doing something that in all actuality had nothing to do with her. Now the old me, would have gone back and forth with her, word for word. The new me, decided it is best to pray that God would bring it to a place where we could resolve this matter without argument. Because of this decision, we were able to resolve the matter immediately! My reason for choosing the other way... I am in hot pursuit of becoming all God has destined me to be, so I must be careful what I do and what I say. Yes, I am so careful, because I want people to know that I am on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment